Working remotely from my client as I do, I make a lot of use of instant messaging. I made the serious error of upgrading to the latest version and have watched in amusement as it’s memory usage often goes northwards of hundreds of megabytes. The record was 1.2Gb … nice!
Even when freshly started it squats there hogging 15Mb, and usually hovers between 30Mb and 50Mb, which is inexcusable for software that basically lets me type stuff to other people.
So Yahoo Instant Messenger is officially Bad Software, and I’ve replaced it with Trillian Basic 3.1 … I’ll be watching it very closely, but so far it hasn’t done anything unpleasant and uses a fraction of the memory.