Dumb things I’ve done recently: Part I

Assumed that the code that I had locally was the same as the one giving problems in production. From the symptom of the problem I almost immediately suspected what the problem was (a column not specified in a joiner transformation in Informatica) but my own code said that the suspect column was included. So, after many hours of picking the bones out of a 500Mb session log file, I checked what the file had to say about the join specification.

Ping! It was wrong. Solution appiled in production and problem went away.

Interestingly enough though, I also fixed a different problem that would have caused the same symptom had we hit particular data combinations. That must have been the silver lining on the cloud of a mostly-wasted day.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s