As I was mentioning earlier, I am leaving my current client and moving on to new pastures. Apparantly I have been with them fulltime for five years, though when I started it was just for a quick two weeks to get them up to speed on some issues — time flies, it seems.
Here are the highlights of the requirements for my replacement:
- In-depth knowledge and prior experience of Oracle Data Warehousing concepts and features — partitioning, parallelism, materialized views and query rewrite, bitmap indexing, data segment compression.
- Strong SQL and PL/SQL development and tuning experience.
- 9i and 10g experience.
- Instance tuning for data warehouse environments.
- Knowledge of ETL tools (Informatica preferred).
- Knowledge of BI tools (Business Objects v6 and/or XI preferred).
- Prior experience of dimensional and 3NF modeling.
- Experience in supply chain management & accounting & finance preferred.
- Incumbent will be responsible for full life-cycle development, from requirement analysis through schema design and strong input into ETL and BI configuration.
- Must be U.S. citizen and be able to obtain a Department of Defense Security clearance.
Here is a link to apply for the job or to get more details, or you can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It has been a while since we had a nice list, so here is one on a subject I rarely touch — Extraction, Transformation and Load technology. Continue reading
When my Informatica v7.1.3 Repository Service refused to start this morning, I instantly thought of my recent install of Business Objects XI, with it’s myriad of services and required firewall rules. As the Windows Event Viewer revealed, the service had refused to start because of an “(356|1840) Error in opening Server Port  to listen for client connections“.
AVG 7.1 to the rescue — a scan through the firewall log showed:
Date and time: 2006-08-07 11:51:22
Application: D:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat\bin\tomcat5.exe
Local address: localhost:5001
Remote address: 0.0.0.0:0
There we go, Tomcat is using 5001.
Having not the foggiest notion of how to change Tomcat to a different port, nor what else might be required to prevent a meltdown of the entire Business Objects installation, I used the more familiar Informatica Repository Server Setup to change that component to port 5002, and he service then started right up.
Follow that with a reconfiguration of the Informatica Server service to look for the Repository service on the new port, and a similar process for the client tools through the PoweCenter Repository Manager, and I’m up and running again.
And you thought I was just some sort of Oracle geek … sheesh!